But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. -Luke 12:48

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Wooden Skeletons and Recycling

To any adult, I grew up in a one-story ranch style house, and a double car garage with a grey exterior, with a happy four-person family.  But to me I grew up in a fantasy world.  Behind my house were the makings of a new housing development.  The skeletons of future homes were trapezes for imaginary gymnastic sets.  My neighborhood posse and I spent hours upon hours in our own version of the ‘thingfinders club’ only to come home with priceless items.  The accessibility of the environment and the frequency in which I took advantage of it helped shape my current land ethic.  Although I view the land from a very anthropocentric perspective, I was taught that the environment is meant to be very interactive- it had no hours of availability.  I could venture over the manmade mud hills and run through impending backyards at any time I pleased.  As I aged, I spent less and less time outside freely gallivanting about.  Instead, I spent more time in structured activities outside – running, biking, rollerblading.  My land ethic was never explicitly outlined for me.  I derived it by observation.  I watched my parents recycle and experienced firsthand the joy that came from utilizing the outdoors for family bonding.  Now, I see the outdoors as treasured, kind of a novelty in some sorts.  I have respect for the land, yes.  I see great value in spending time engulfed in nature.  But do I view it as superior or even equivalent to me, sadly no.  

No comments:

Post a Comment