But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. -Luke 12:48

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dear God... Wait, dear Mother Nature...

I was baptized Methodist, I had a First Communion and a Catholic Church, and I went through the Confirmation process as a Methodist.  In essence, I am one big religious hodgepodge.  I came to St. Ben’s identifying with the Methodist religion; however, I will leave more feeling more spiritual than anything.
I find myself experiencing feelings of confinement when in conversations or events of religious nature, partly because I have yet to find a complete doctrine that I feel comfortable with.  To me, spirituality allows me to be more holistic and at peace with myself.  Spirituality is more centering and I believe fully experiencing spirituality brings me closer to nature.  Over winter break I went dogsledding with a group of students/ Sisters from these institutions in Ely, Minnesota at the resort of a Johnnie Alum, Paul Schurke.  Throughout the five days we were there, we prayed the Monastic rhythm and spent a considerable amount of time outside meditating.  I learned a lot in that time.  I arrived at the trip with a very anthropocentric view of nature.  But after simply being in nature, I am more holistic. 
Through conversations with Paul, we learned of the possible plans to break in to the Boundary Waters for development and drilling.  I had never been to the Boundary Waters before but after going, I would strongly advocate against the development in any part of it!  I was able to appreciate what it means to be a human in my times meditating in the Boundary Waters.  We came in and left no trace of our brief appearance – a pattern I wish the human race in general can make happen more frequently.  
So although I know that there is a larger power up there, I don't know if I can say it's the same God that is recognized by other religions.  For now I think I'm better celebrating Mother Nature. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this insightful post...makes me excited to head up north as well!

    J

    ReplyDelete