But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. -Luke 12:48

Friday, April 29, 2011

One banana, two banana

                I was very impressed with the pollution group’s presentation.  Pollution is a very pertinent issue to all generations and often when it is talked about, the argument is very one-sided and flat out scary.  The pollution group managed to provide us with information about many different types of and sides to the pollution issue.  Focusing on many different types of pollution will help us see what areas of our lives we can change in order to help decrease the amount of pollution we are generating.
Laura’s banana segment was great!  I guess I always thought that since it’s a banana, it has to be healthy and have a healthy and safe history.  Not true.  After learning about the interactions between bananas and plastic bags it almost makes me want to seriously consider not eating the bananas that come from there!
My trip to Hawaii was enlightening for the reason I brought up in class.  Their state-wide plastic bag ban has really taken off over there.  The citizens are used to it – the tourists are another story – but I think we can learn a lot from the implementation of that program.  How easy would it be to keep reusable bags in your car or purse for use when you go to the grocery store?  So easy!  Although I have to admit there are lots of things that I do with paper bags: use as recycling bags in the house, making crafts with the kids at daycare, etc. that I would no longer be able to do.  But for the sake of my planet, that’s a risk I would be willing to take!

No comments:

Post a Comment