But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked. -Luke 12:48

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Brown chicken, brown cow

The in-class debate about the use of GMO’s helped me look at superfoods, or frankenfoods, through a new lens.  Until the presentation, I honestly believed that we needed to be producing more food.  However, after listening to the presentation I realize that we just need to be more mindful consumers.  Thinking at our school alone, we waste hundreds of pig barrels of food each year.
Western societies eat way too much beef.  Beef is an extremely inefficient food to produce, as it uses a lot of water and produces by-products of methane gas.  As an alternative, the group encouraged us to eat less beef and increase our consumption of more efficient foods such as greens, vegetables, and fruit.  Even small steps such as making meat an accessory to your meal instead of the main course can get us thinking in the right direction.  Now I don’t know that I could go as far as becoming completely vegan or vegetarian; however, I would be willing to take some steps to decrease the amount of meat I consume.  
My roommate’s boyfriend sells dog food and he informed me that there are 143 million chickens every year for the pet industry alone.  That’s 143 million chickens that 3rd world countries could be eating!
Obviously, ignorance plays a key role in this issue.  A common solution to combat ignorance is education; however, I strongly believe that the issues of food production, GMO’s, and hunger are not going to see a change unless something drastic happens to our country such as a famine or a parasite infection that wipes out a large percentage of our cattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment